Jill in Thailand

Monday, July 17, 2006

random observations

I have now officially taken over as the teacher in the classroom and, so far, it has gone really well. My kids are extremely cute and, as soon as I can get my computer hooked up to the wireless internet at the school, I will post some pictures so that you can see just how cute they really are. It's crazy that I have only been here for a week and a half, because I feel like I have done and seen so much already. It would be impossible for me to tell you everything that I have done so far, because there is just too much, so here are some random observations, in no particular order.

- there are dogs everywhere. For those of you who have been to Italy and Greece and think that there were a lot of dogs there, you haven't seen anything. At first I was kind of scared of them, but now I have realised that they are totally harmless, and they don't pay any attention to you when you walk by (unless you have food, then they come and sit beside you looking really cute so that you feed them.)

- movies here are an experience. So far I have seen Pirates of the Caribean and Superman (which was really bad). The movies are in English with Thai subtitles, which is great, except for when they speak a different language in the movie, and you have no idea what they are saying. Anyway, the movie starts with previews, and then they play the national anthem, where everyone has to stand and pay respect to the king. The anthem plays and images of the king and the country float by. The theatres here are all extremely cold and all have really comfy reclining seats. Apparently, if you pay a lot of money you can sit in a VIP section where you sit on couches and they give you massages and serve you throughout the movie. We haven't done that yet, but we may go just because it would be funny.

- yesterday I saw shampoo that was beer and egg scented. It smelt gross.

- transportation here is also interesting. Public transit doesn't ever really stop, you kind of have to just hop on. If you make it, great, if not, nobody really cares, the bus keeps going. So far I've been lucky.

- there are bugs and geckos everywhere. Just ten minutes ago I was sitting at my desk, and I moved a roll of tape and a gecko ran from underneath. It was gross. I also have a gecko living on my balcony, so I have to be careful when I open my door so that it doesn't run inside my room. Geckos won't hurt you, but they creep me out and I do NOT want one living in my room and running over me when I'm sleeping. They eat bugs though, and they apparently bring good luck, so I can't really complain.

There are tons of other things that I could tell you, but I can't think of them right now. I now have a cell phone, but I don't know the number, and if you want to send me mail, you should send it to the school (but I don't know the school address...) I will find both of those out so that you can phone me and send me all kinds of presents!

Until then, keep emailing because I love reading all of your emails!

1 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger Anna said...

So great to hear of your adventures Jill! I will be following along regularly- God Bless :)
Anna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home