Jill in Thailand

Friday, December 22, 2006

Merry Christmas to me!

So if anyone out there got into teaching for the presents at Christmas time...Thailand is the place for you! I came home today with a huge shopping bag filled to the brim with presents...it also helps that I have fifty students, but mostly it was that they had just given me really big gifts...and they were all really nice gifts too! I got a huge woven bag, towels, candy, a really nice pen, cookies, bags, scarves, a clock, jewellry, a really nice belt from one of my Thai teachers, and a lot more. My favourite gift, though, came as a joint present from the three Thai teachers in one of my classes. They gave me really nice material to make myself a Thai outfit. Every Tuesday at our school is Thai dress day. All of the Thai teachers come dressed in these beautiful outfits made of Thai material. A few of the foreign teachers have Thai outfits that they wear, but most of us just wear our uniforms. Every Tuesday I tell my Thai teachers how beautiful their outfits are, so now they got me material to make my own! I am really excited, but I have no idea what I should make with the material. I think that I'm going to bring them some pictures, and then have them help me pick out what style I should get made. The people here are so nice, I just can't get over it!

The funniest part is that apparently it is New Years when we get most of the gifts, and Christmas is just a warm-up! If this is the warm-up I can't even imagine what New Years is going to bring! These kids better start giving me edible/perishable gifts, or I'm going to run out of room...my apartment is not that big!

On a completely different note, my parents arrive in Thailand in 3 hours and it doesn't even feel real. I didn't even really feel excited today, not because I don't want to see them, but because I have been so busy with Christmas, exams, report cards and tons of other stuff that I haven't even had time to think about the fact that they are coming, and now they are going to be here tonight! As I was cleaning my room and getting everything ready, though, it started to sink in and I started to get really excited! I will be really busy for the next 2-3 weeks, so I may not email/blog, so I hope that everyone has a great Christmas and a Happy New Year!!!!

2 Comments:

At 11:32 PM, Blogger Anna said...

Jill- that is SO wonderful that your parents are coming out to have Christmas with you! I hope you have a wonderful time together! Blessings,
Anna

 
At 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you and your parents are having a great time. We read in the news about the unrest in Bankok and wonder how it is where you are. Wishing Bruno and Carimine safe travels this holiday season. We had a wonderful time at the New Years event at Ron and Carrie's.

Ted and Bev

 

Post a Comment

<< Home