Jill in Thailand

Friday, July 21, 2006

the nicknames

First of all, although it says July 20th at the top of this post, I am actually writing it at 10:30 am on July 21st, I think this is still in Canadian time, and I don't know how to change that. I know it doesn't really matter, but it confuses me everytime and always makes me question what the actual date it.

So here are the names of some of the kids in my class: Focus, Idea, Team, Sand, Ice, Porsche (x3), Earth (x2), Cartoon, Remote, Huge, Almond. There are some "normal" English ones like Jerry, Bill, and Jean, and then there are some that keep their Thai names like Aop Aop and Om-sin, but most of them have these English "nicknames" that are pretty funny.

Some other funny names of kids around the school: whip cream, poop (there are actually a number of kids named poop, Louis actually has a poop and a pee in his class), and the best one...tittyporn. Yes, that's right. I don't really understand where these names come from. We were talking about it yesterday and thinking that maybe they try to find English words that sound like their Thai names, but we weren't really sure. Then today I looked at my class list and saw, for example, that Cartoon's Thai name is actually Phichayapha...although I cannot speak Thai, I don't think that this would sound at all like Cartoon when pronounced...so I guess they just pick these names out of thin air.

This weekend a bunch of us are going down to Hua Hin to relax by the beach, get cheap massages and eat pineapples with chilis. Ahhh how I love the weekends in Thailand. The great thing about my job is that I haev a ton of prep time in the middle of the day (four hours today), so I have never yet taken work home, and have been told that I probably never will. I've never even had to stay after school to work. It's awesome. So this means that we can just hang out and have fun on the weekends without having to worry about doing work.

Today we are getting Subway for lunch. I know I know, I didn't come to Thailand to eat Subway, and I eat Thai food all the time, but about once a month, a woman at the school orders Subway (they deliver it here) for lunch, and it is nice to have a taste of home every once in awhile. I absolutely love Subway, so I am pretty excited. Alright, I should probably use some of this prep time to do some actual work!

Oh ya, and, I know that you can all read my blog and find out what I am doing, but I don't know what you are all doing, so you should keep emailing to let me know what is going on over there!!!

Hope to hear from you all soon!

1 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Jill!
So glad to hear that things are going well out there - and those names! I laughed out loud. Don't know how you keep a straight face during roll-call...
Hope things continue to go well, and will keep checking up on you here.
Lori D.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home