what bombs?
I just got back from a weekend in Phuket and Koh Phi Phi with my parents. We spent a lot of time just laying on the beach, spent one day snorkelling, but mostly just relaxed. We were especially glad to be down South when we saw on the news that there had been a series of bombs that went off on New Years in Bangkok. I looked at a map that had all of the sites were bombs had been planted/went off and I recognised almost all of them...all very major tourist sites, including one site that was supposed to hold a massive New Years celebration. The first bombs apparently went off at 6:30, as people were getting ready to go out, so they cancelled all New Years celebrations, and a second set of bombs went off at midnight as well, so it's a good thing that they did cancel things.
Things here feel fairly normal, though, I think that almost everyone from our school was out of Bangkok for New Years, because it was an extra long weekend, so nobody was anywhere near any of the bombings. It's a good thing that we weren't in the city, because we never really know what's going on until people from the "outside" tell us. Like the coup, we didn't know about it until Ilda's mom called from Canada to let us know that it was happening. I don't have a TV and I don't understand Thai radio, so if I had been in Bangkok I probably would have gone downtown and had no idea that anything was happening, although I'm sure we would have figured that something was up when there was no one out!
Anyway, I don't really think that there is much to worry about, people seem to be going about their business as usual and, since Bangkae (the area in which I live) is so far from the city centre, you can't tell that anything happened at all.
The other scary thing from the weekend was that we found out about the huge ferry that sunk in Indonesia...right after we got off a two hour ferry ride! We had to get back on a ferry three days later to get back to the mainland, too, which was a little un-nerving, but all went well and I am now back in Bangkok. My parents are up in Chiang Mai for a few days, and will come back to Bangkok on Friday so that we can spend their last weekend here together in Kanchinaburi. It has been a very busy two weeks and, although I have loved having my parents here, I am kind of looking forward to a few days of just relaxing and actually getting some sleep!
I hope that everyone had a great Christmas and New Years!


1 Comments:
phew! we were worried jill. good to hear all is well.
Sarah
Post a Comment
<< Home