my week
Oh how I love short weeks. Having a long weekend makes the following week feel SO much shorter. I can't believe that tomorrow is Friday already! It's been kind of a boring week, although I did almost get peed on today, which was quite funny. I am teaching two and three year olds, all of whom are potty trained...or so we thought. Lately, there has been one kid who has been peeing on the floor at the end of class. This has happened two days in a row. It is always at the end of class when we are sitting in circle time. Today we were doing the alphabet and I gave each kid a flashcard with a letter on it, and they had to come up one by one to put their letters in order. All of a sudden my Thai teacher was yelling something at me and kind of pushing me to the side...she was yelling in Thai so, of course, I had no idea what was going on. I looked to the side, and there was a little stream of pee headed right for me...I'm glad that she was quick, because it would have hit me for sure. It did get on my flashcards, which was kind of gross, but they were laminated, so she just washed them off and put them back in the box (honestly, they've touched so many kids' hands, they were probably covered in pee anyway).
I also had a kid fall through her chair the other day. The kids were sitting at the tables working on something, when all of a sudden she started crying. She cries often, so we didn't really react right away. When we did look, we couldn't see her at first, then we walked over and saw that somehow her seat had broken and she was sitting with her bum wedged in and she was completely stuck. It was quite hilarious actually, and it took us awhile to get her out, partly because we were laughing pretty hard. She was not impressed and started to shriek cry until we finally got her out. She was completely unharmed and it definitely provided some comic relief for the afternoon.
I don't know if I've mentioned this before, but there are cameras in all of the classrooms. It is so that the psychotic and disgustingly rich parents can sit and watch their kids all day long (and they do...there are some parents who are here ALL day. Most just socialize with other parents, but one mom follows her kid to the pool, the library, everywhere! My question is, how are these people so rich if they are NEVER working!). Anyway, I always wonder what people see when they watch those cameras. There is apparently no audio, so they probbaly had no idea what was going on when that kid peed, they just saw a bunch of us shuffling over all of a sudden. It must be kind of funny to watch.
Tomorrow we are going to Koh Samet for the weekend, which is where I went for my very first weekend here with Ilda and Louis. It is a pretty small island and there isn't much there, other than a beach, and it's a really good place to go to get away from the busy-ness of Bangkok.
I have also successfully convinced two of my friends to move into my apartment building, so now I will know a bunch of people here and will not be nearly so bored in the evenings (doing laundry, checking email, and going grocery shopping at Tesco is not exactly an exciting evening), so I am really looking forward to that.
Alright, time to go pack for the weekend!


2 Comments:
Hi Jill,
Sounds like you're having an awesome timme. Sorry it's been so long since I emailed or responded but I've been busy moving home and preparing for les filles. I wish you were here with us but we'll be thinking of you and Gillian the whole time. Have a great weekend and get ready for some pics for our semi-reunion.
Love you bunches Michelle "Newf"
yeah! -i love all things tesco. lucky you.
Post a Comment
<< Home